Nabil, a multitalented musician who plays the drums, piano, guitar, bass and harmonica, has had a passion for music since he was 6 years old. His passion originated way back in his hometown, Johor, when his late grandfather was a well-known violinist and his parents were music lovers. When he was younger, his father would blast rock music and little Nabil would always imagine himself being the drummer.
Having studied in the Malaysian Art School Johor Bahru majoring in drums, Nabil started teaching music at the age of 14, before furthering his studies at Maktab Perguruan Ilmu Khas in KL, where he majored in music education. His inspiration to teach comes from his musical idols who are also music teachers.
For Nabil, music has shaped him into a disciplined individual. “If you want to become a professional, you have to treat your practice as a lifestyle,” he states, adding, “Practice is not about quantity, it’s about quality.” He credits his success to his upbringing, where his parents enforced a balance of play, studies and music practices. Being the eldest of 3 children, he becomes a role model for his younger siblings, especially to his younger brother who follows in his footsteps as a drummer.
Qualifications and Notable Achievements:
- Diploma in Music: Band 6 Distinction
- Rockschool Drums: Grade 5
- 2012: Performed in Bulgaria for the World Folklore Festival; won gold medal and awarded Best Percussion Player
- 2014: Drum Battle, Poland, 2nd place
- 2014-2017: Nominated twice for Malaysian Best Upcoming Drummer
- 2015: Yamaha Asian Beat; 1st place and Best Drummer
P.S. shh… He knows sign language..